Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Life with Dynamic Karaoke

Meeting new and different people is the key to understanding what karaoke means to me. I have had the pleasure of mingling with some great and beautiful individuals, whom have brought joy to my life. Often times joy also brings pain. Karaoke is more than just a place to be, or a song to sing. It is an attitude. Some people think it's about competition and making the less talented person feel inadequate. It is about having fun and enjoying the company of those who share in the same experiences.

I can't imagine life without karaoke.





After 9/11, I had lost lifelong dream of working in television, (refer to my blog, 9/11 The Day the World Stopped), I then began working at the Ground Round restaurant in Rockford, Illinois. It was a wonderful place, I met some great people. My friend Sheri, was the manager. Going out every Tuesday and Thursday to a local pub with other co-workers, who would participate in the fun of karaoke. It was more than just singing some popular song, it was about finding what songs you liked to sing. Some songs were often harder than most, but the joy of singing together was the main part of entertainment. We would laugh, talk about what songs we thought each other could or were willing to sing. We not only made time for each other, but made time for the new comers who came in. I remember we were more than friends, we were family seeking each others acceptance. As a group, we would practice the songs that we wanted to sing, sitting out in the cars before karaoke would begin and practice. As loud as we could we'd sing that song that we were going to showcase for the evening. I'd be in my car, Sheri would be in her van, and Reese would be in his car. All our radio's would be blaring and we'd try to match each song, note for note. We'd then go in and socialize with the group. After the night would end, we'd plan on what we were going to sing the next group session of karaoke. Always going through the book to see what was available. Many times I'd pick a sad song, however, sad songs were looked down upon. "That will bring the fun down in the bar," said a frequent bar goer.
Sheri often said, it was my choice and not to listen.


During the week, we'd go down to Sheri's basement. She had a karaoke machine set up with large speakers and a sound system her husband had bought for Christmas. We'd practice new songs. We also made trips to Chicago to buy new CDGs at a small karaoke store; which stocked many disks and karaoke equipment. The owner was always happy to see us, for we'd spend hours going through his music and often asked what he could order for us. He was always willing to find what we wanted; then take the disks back to Rockford and rock out in the basement. I enjoyed spending time with my friend and her twin daughters. This group of friends became family.

October 2003, we sold the house and moved back to Colorado. I really was hesitant about the move, I had found friends and a life that was rich and rewarding. A sad day was leaving the great town of Rockford. I wish I could go back and stay. However, you can't go back. My friend Mike had wanted to return to be close to his family and went back to the old job he hated at the Mexican Restaurant he previously worked. The owner suckered him into returning and sticking him in Fort Collins. On the way back to Colorado, I was under the impression we'd be returning to Denver. I had made plans to revisit old friends that lived there. We had a house lined up in Denver and a whole new life planned in the city. Once we arrived, we were stopped at Johnson's Corner along the interstate. Mike called Louie and he said that the house fell through. I was a bit upset, I really wanted to be in Denver. Mike was on the phone with Louie and he stated he wanted him up in Fort Collins, instead. I bit my tongue on this one. I really wanted to say, No, but I agreed.



November rolled around and I was missing my life in the Land of Lincoln. I went to a few karaoke places that were available in Fort Collins with some of my co-workers. I had not found the kinship that I once had. I was insulted, taunted, and ridiculed by local patrons and staff of these places. I made a performance of Billy Idol and was told by the KJ, that I could not sing or even dance. Hence, I began my own karaoke business. I had shows in Longmont, Aurora, Greeley, and Northglenn, which I was happy with how things started to take off.



Many of the people I had met were the foundation of what I really wanted. I wanted friendship, understanding, and the ability to perform without being discriminated. I met many wonderful people, many of whom needed the same things I was looking for, they gave me back the family I had lost. Some of my new found family came to enjoy the festivities, and others came to drink. I didn't care who came, as long as they had a good time. I grew fond of each person that passed through the door. I have a group of handicapped friends that has enriched my life. They've shown me, karaoke for them was about being understood and accepted. I have always treated them with great kindness. They are my family too, and this group has given their love for Dynamic Karaoke and for me. No one is discriminated.


Many times, the drama of people with their own personal agendas has come up. I don't like people bringing down the house with this kind of childish behavior, so it's best to keep it out. I like to smile and have a good time, I thrive on good energy, however, negativity is viral.

I too get down, but I try to keep it out.

Most holidays I try to dress up the karaoke. I wear flashy holiday ties and try to decorate for the season. During Christmas I get out the red table cloths and keep the spirit up for the season. 2004's Christmas season was a bit stressful. On the 18th I was headed to Aurora from Cheyenne. About ten miles from the state line I encountered a whiteout. The drive was a bit nerving, I couldn't see. I slowed down to be safe on the roadway, the black ice still made it difficult to go on. In my rear view mirror I could see a semi truck speeding up from behind. I thought to myself, someones' gonna get hurt. The semi pulled around me and passed, a second semi was behind him and six cars sped around. I couldn't believe this. About two miles had passed and the ground blizzard almost made the drive a crawl. I kept thinking that I needed to turn around, however, also thought the snow was going to let up over the next pass. I looked more intense through my windshield. Making out in the distance a dark line. As I got closer, the shape became more clearer. The two semi's had jackknifed on the interstate and the cars following had slammed into it, one trailer standing on end. I could see the cars piled up in front of the trucks. I eased on the brakes and tried to slow, skidding a bit before I came to a full stop. Looking up reminded me of watching the Twin Towers on TV. The one truck had it's trailer standing up in the air and the other trailer was on it's side. My stomach was a bit queasy. I got out and went over to the cars. I could count my blessings that I had not been part of the dog pile of metal. I could hear a lady in the bottom vehicle. She was screaming and sobbing, "Is anyone out there? Help!" I rushed over and replied, "I'm out here." I didn't know what to do. I had no phone and I did not see anyone else around. "I'm gonna get help." I was thinking I was gonna get back into my car and drive around the mess. I didn't see anyone else around. I turned and looked behind me and realized there was another wave of cars coming. A vehicle was speeding and braking. I could see in my mind's eye I was gonna be hit by this car. My life flashed for a bit. I then saw the car hit the back of my car and it slammed into the car with the lady trapped inside. "Oh God!" I cried.
I looked back again and saw two semi's coming up the road. They were in both lanes. They were slowing down and creating a barrier for the incident. For the next few hours we were out in the cold waiting for the tow trucks to clear up the interstate. The other travelers from the vehicles were all out of their cars and huddled on the other side of the accident. No one was hurt, but I still can hear the lady in the Taurus.

Many of the regulars and staff heard about the accident. They called to check to see how I was doing. Whether, they were in Aurora, Longmont or any of the other venues across the front range we were family. Caring about one another. I went back the next week to find everyone wanting to hear about the accident.


Sometime after Christmas, I received a call from the manager of the Aurora location. One of my karaoke family was found in her garage. She had strung herself up. I had no idea why. I had just seen her the night before. She and her friends had come in for our weekly night of karaoke fun. She had been in good spirits and I could not believe what she had done. Lauren was her name and she was hanging out with Lee and his girlfriend. At the end of the night, she asked if I would sing with her, one of her favorite songs, "Picture" by Kidd Rock and Sheryl Crow. This was the last song of the evening and the last song she sang. When I took the call, I was frozen. I could not believe she would do this. I heard from her friends that she was depressed, fore she was dealing with another friend who was shot and killed in the Aurora mall.

June 2008, the restaurant was filled with karaoke haters. The staff always hated to be working karaoke. They would grumble and tell everyone how they really wanted to not have the regulars there. They would refuse to serve and just try to run off my regulars. They said they didn't tip enough, or they didn't drink enough. I had a group of people go to the bar and no service was given. I complained, but the staff were never changed out. The new management said, not everyone likes karaoke. That doesn't mean, they didn't have to do their jobs, serve the paying guest. I just became frustrated and after a drunk patron violated another patron, I put my two weeks in. I even recommended another KJ for my position. I just can't see being somewhere to make the establishment money and they can't get staff to clean tables, serve drinks and food, and keep the guests in check. The staff went as far as refusing to serve my handicapped guests. They usually came in and would spend $150 in food and finish off the evening with drinks.

I officially retired.


A few months later, I received a call from my friend Joey. "Mike, we need you to find a place for karaoke." Joey and her group had been to other places and went back to the Mexican Restaurant. The special needs group had found they were not being treated with kindness anywhere else. I thought about it for a bit, and replied, I will try. After a few weeks, I discovered a place in Old Town Fort Collins, the Gelazzi Italiano Cafe. The little gelato shop was a great place to bring some of my regulars back. The cafe served alcohol, coffee, and gelato. It might really be a good place.

Many regulars have come and gone. I enjoy seeing new faces and the familiar ones as well. I always smile when they come into Gelazzi and have a great time. I think about all the times that I smile and that is when old friends come see me. I miss a lot of people that have decided they like the bar scene much better. However, they are not the reason I enjoy it. I love to feel the spirit of karaoke in the respect each one has for each other. They accept each other as family and bring joy and not drama to my soul. I see the smiling eyes of my karaoke family and it brings light to my existence. At times I ponder, what will happen to these people if my show will close. Sometimes the regulars have forgotton that I'm trying to create goodwill, some have become selfish and use my show for their own cheap entertainment.  Please buy something, it keeps the show going. 

Since, the past few months, I deleted the Karaoke at Gelazzi Show.  Gelazzi will soon be no more and I am seeking other employment.  I helped manage the place and produced some of the best gelato, I have awards to prove this.  I have found another place called the Canyon Grill up by Horsetooth Reservoir.  It's a nice place and all of the regulars are welcome to attend.  This place finds time to accept my long time friends, Joey and Friends.

They will go on.


The dynamics of Dynamic Karaoke is people who want to have fun and enjoy the company of others. No Drama, Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment