Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Mystic of Horsetooth Mountain

Traveling up the mountain West County Road 38E, just ten minutes from Fort Collins, is a place called Al's Canyon Grill.  The Canyon Grill is a special place for me, it has grounded me and given me peace that I have not felt.  As I drive I see the mountain scape and feel the wonders of the world that I  had not felt, since I was twenty.  The serene atmosphere gives me hope; which I look forward to the next week on the mountain.  As I turn the bend, I gaze at Horsetooth Reservoir.  It too is a wondrous sight.  I finally make it to the restaurant/bar and am greeted by smiling faces and cheerful eyes. 
The past years, I have worked in downtown Fort Collins.  Most of the people whom hangout downtown are not so friendly.  The staff at the Armadillo, which I worked, were less than hospitable.  Condemning and not uplifting.  I thought this was the norm for the Northern Colorado area. 

Until I was introduced to the folks up on the mountain.

Most of the residents have been warm, courteous, and most hospitable.  In my time of need, I was sent to the mountain to get a grip on the hostility of the situation I was living.  The place I worked, Gelazzi, was not going to be around much longer.  This past year, I was struggling with finding other employment and knowing the end for the ice cream shop and my job was fast approaching. 

I received a call.  "Hi, I'm looking for karaoke."  It was a woman's voice. "For this Friday." I was unsure, I had karaoke going on at Gelazzi.  Then I called her back, "OK, I will do it."  I am so grateful that someone was looking out for me.  I can only think my guardian angel sent me to the mountain.

I love going up to the mountain, it is soothing and a place that I like to think has welcomed me into the fold which lives up there.

It is close to Christmas and as I look out at the dark mountain at night I can see the little little lights which flicker from the windows and yards of the residents on one side of the landscape.  It's little Christmas tree lights, and shapes of rain deer lit in greens, reds, and blues.  This sight humbles me as I gaze at the decorations.  Some of those residents may attend karaoke, some may not, but it is a peace I can feel from the whole hill side.

As I gaze up at the night sky, the twinkling of the many stars dance in the heavens.  I can only wish more people can embrace the beauty and wonderment of the Canyon Grill.  My two loves are now up on the mountain: Karaoke and Horsetooth Mountain.



4 comments:

  1. So no more Gelazzis? I'll look for ya at Al's if that's where the good karaoke is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Up at Al's Canyon Grill on Friday's! I'll also be ringing in the New Year with karaoke at Canyon Grill.

      Delete
  2. You have painted the picture of Horsetooth and Canyon Grill so beautifully. I am proud to be a part of your regular karaoke group! Gelazzi's was great, but its the people who make karaoke really fun! You are awesome, Mike! Don't ever change!

    ReplyDelete